Navy Child and Youth Programs (CYP) offers high quality early care and youth services in center-based (birth - five), facility-based (age 5-12), and recreational environments (teen; youth sports and fitness). CYP Assistants perform entry level direct care duties while in training to advance to higher level duties. They work across age groups and locations as needed, but are typically assigned to a primary age group and location. Learn more about us at: https://www.navycyp.org.
The duties and responsibilities of the CY Program Assistant have been grouped into categories, including curriculum, indoor and outdoor environment, interactions and relationships, supervision of children and youth, parent and employee communication, assessment, compliance, and additional responsibilities. Each is described below:
- Plans activities for program participants based on observed needs of individual children and youth. Continually reviews activities and plans for appropriateness.
- Works with T&C Specialist, supervisor, and the CY Program Assistants to implement activities and special events that meet the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive needs of children and youth. Incorporates special instructions provided by parents such as special dietary needs, physical needs, or other information that may affect the child or youth's experience in the program.
- Prepares and implements program options for children and youth with special requirements. Assists children and youth with special projects, homework, and life skills.
- Recommends to the T&C Specialist and CY Program Assistants changes and adjustments to activities and plans where necessary to meet unusual situations.
- Sets up displays for bulletin boards.
- Arranges for and/or services appropriate snacks or meals where applicable
Indoor and Outdoor Environment
- Works with team members to prepare, arrange and maintain indoor and outdoor activity areas and materials to accommodate daily schedules. Makes suggestions about improvements to the activity area.
- Inventories equipment on a reoccurring basis and recommends replenishing damaged, missing and depleted supplies.
- Secures supplies, equipment, and facilities.
Interactions and Relationships
- Encourages participant interest and establishes a program setting that promotes positive interaction with other children, youth and adults.
- Interacts with children and youth using approved child guidance and youth development techniques.
Supervision of Children and Youth
- Provides care and supervision, oversight, and accountability for program participants in compliance with the Department of Defense (DoD), NAF Component, and local installation policies, guidance, and standards.
- Maintains control of and accounts for whereabouts and safety of children and youth. Ensures children and youth (as applicable) depart with authorized person according to written parental instructions.
- Oversees arrival and departure of children and youth.
- Supervises children and youth during daily schedule of indoor and outdoor activities and on field trips, outings and special events.
- Observes program participants for signs that may indicate illness, abuse, or neglect and reports as directed. Incumbent is a mandatory reporter to Family Advocacy and Child Protective Services as prescribed by local policy in the case of suspected incidences of child abuse and neglect.
Parent and Employee Communication
- Interacts professionally with employees, parents, and local installation command personnel.
- Participates in conferences with parents, employees, school representatives, and local installation personnel. Briefs other employees and parents.
- Plans and conducts activities for parents in order to encourage parents to become involved.
- Observes children and youth and documents developmental progression and/or concerns. Uses the information in planning.
- Assists CY Program Assistants with assessment tasks when needed.
- Participates in program evaluation using designated instruments such as programmatic rating scales, risk assessment tools (as required), self-inspection materials, and national accreditation tools.
- Ensures assigned area achieve and maintains standards for the DoD certification and national accreditation or equivalent.
- Ensures compliance with law, policies, and regulations applicable to DoD CY programs.
- Collects, maintains, and reports program participation data.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- A complete list of duties and responsibilities will be provided at the time of hire.